• FreeAuthority

How To File For Your Trucking Authority

Updated: Mar 16

Filing for your trucking authority is the next step after you've formed your trucking company and have your CDL. Without obtaining your authority you won't be able to haul any loads or run your trucking business. It is a must have and it has to be done correctly. We have compiled some important information together for you to remember when you file for your trucking authority.

Register your trucking company with the US Department of Transportation (USDOT)

Trucking companies must be registered with the USDOT. All your company's information is accessed by the ID number you are given - vehicle type, cargo, safety, and compliance. Every two years your USDOT number is renewed. If there are any changed made to your company like fleet size, name, phone number, address or cargo type it will also be updated. Any shipper you haul for will use your ID number to see this information about your company.

Apply for your Motor Carrier Number (MC#) with the FMCSA

You must have an MC number to participate in Interstate Commerce. You will need all the same information your used when registering with the USDOT when you apply for your MC number - so, keep it all handy. Once you apply you will immediately be given your MC number, BUT you are not authorized to start working on it yet. Once you complete your MC authority application you will be given 21 days to file your BOC-3 and get insurance. Once you've file those with the FMCSA, it will take 3-4 more days for your authority to become active. Then, another 3-5 days to receive your certificate of authority (COA) in the mail. You can usually access this immediately online through your compliance agent.

REMEMBER: you are not authorized to start working until your MC number is active, your BOC-3 is filed, you have an insurance policy in place, and its ALL registered with the FMCSA.

We know this can confuse many new applicants. Which is why we are here to help you. We will file your authority for your for FREE and walk you through every step of the way to get you on the road. Get started here, fill out the form below, or call us today at (855) 552-4689!