• FreeAuthority

How Do I File For My Trucking Authority?

Updated: Mar 16

To get straight to the point, you cannot run your trucking company without getting your authority. Your authority must be active for you to participate in interstate commerce. Different cargo types require different types of authority, and some carriers may need multiple authorities to cover them all. Your MC number is issued to your through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Getting your own authority give you complete independence to haul your own loads and run your own trucking company. Applying for your authority may seem tricky, so we have lined up everything you need to do in this article. Even more, we can file your authority for you for FREE, and walk you through every step of the way to get you on the road!

Steps to getting started:

  • Know what authority you need to apply for

  • Name your trucking company and file it with your state

  • Develop a business plan

  • Get an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

  • Get insurance for your trucking company

  • Apply for your MC Number

How do you file for your trucking authority?

Submit the federal application to get your USDOT number

All trucking companies must register with the USDOT in order to haul loads. This is the number given to your company where your company's information (vehicle type, cargo, safety, and compliance) can be accessed. Your USDOT is renewed every 2 years or updated when any company information is changed.

File your BOC-3

After you apply for your MC authority, you have 21 days to file a BOC-3 and get an insurance policy in place. It will take 3-4 for your authority to go active after these have been filed with the FMCSA. You will then get your certificate of authority in the mail 3-5 days later. You are not authorized to start working until your MC Number is active and your BOC-3 and insurance policy are filed with the FMSCA.

Pay your (HVUT) Heavy Vehicle Use Tax

This is the annual tax for all heavy vehicles that operate on the public highways

Set up your (IRP) International Registration Plan and get your apportioned plates

All your fleets of vehicles that travel in multiple jurisdictions must register for their IRP. You must report the mileage driven in each state annually and pay taxes on those driven miles. In order to register, you need your VIN, title information, purchase cost and date, and the make and model of your vehicle. Your fee is then determined by the number of states you work in and the number of miles your drive. Once you pay the fee, you'll receive your apportioned tags.

Create and (IFTA) International Fuel Tax Agreement account

IFTA is an agreement between the lower 48 states and Canadian provinces to simplify the reporting of fuel taxes by interstate motor carriers. You must complete your fuel tax report at the end of fiscal quarter, list all miles you have traveled in in participating jurisdictions, and all fuel purchases.

Complete a (UCR) Unified Carrier Registration

Businesses that are operating commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce must register within their operating state and pay a yearly fee based on the size of their fleet. This registration is renewed every year.

Register for the drug and alcohol consortium

The FMCSA and DOT require all motor carriers to have negative drug screens prior to hiring or driving themselves.

ALL compliance must be in order before you can move forward and start running loads. It is extremely important that you do not miss a step in this process causing you big delays in starting your business. Let us file your authority for all to help you avoid those costly mistakes. Give us a call today at (855) 552-4689 or fill out the form below for more information!